This disgusting article made me feel ill. It’s a long read – but skim/read it at will, it’s really quite disturbing and informative.
- Only 2 – 3% of all plastic is actually recycled – the process is too expensive
- It’s generally the plastics with 1’s and 2’s on the bottom which are regularly actually recycled and made into something new
- Many types of plastic are proven to be toxic to the reproductive systems of us, our children, our children’s children (if they can have them), etc.
- The one plastic item you threw out today may outlast your children on this earth
- All the plastic in our oceans is killing the marine life =(
What Brad and I will be trying to do about this:
- Choose glass over plastic whenever we can (glass can always be recycled)
- Choose reusable items (ie. handkerchiefs, cloth diapers, menstrual cups, cloth menstrual products, etc.)
- If it is necessary to buy plastic, try to buy those made with 1’s or 2’s
- Bring our cloth bags everywhere with us to avoid plastic bags
- Buy fresh foods as often as we can instead of pre-packaged foods, which are often packaged in plastics
Leave me a comment – what are you doing to reduce, reuse, and recycle?