Monthly Archives: September 2007
randomness…feed your mind and your blog
week of sept 23: do you prefer…
- day or night? Daytime …I used to be more a night owl, but 2.5 years of a job where I normally start at 6:30 AM has squashed that out of me. Now I have a hard time staying up past 11 or 12 PM!
- chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate 100%!
- coffee or tea? Tea. I love me some coffee but my intestines don’t like it anymore =( I love Earl or Lady Grey or specialty teas.
- renting a movie and staying home or going out to the theater? Hmm … depends on the movie. Action? Theatre. Thriller? Home. Fantasy? Theatre. Romance? Home.
- regular books or audio books? Regular books regularly. If I’m working on a knitting project, however, I love audiobooks!
- driving to a faroff destination or just taking an airplane? I honestly don’t know! I haven’t been on a long road trip since grade five. I love flying though! Maybe if Brad and I ever take a long road trip I can let you know whether I preferred it over flying.
- hamburger or hotdogs? Homemade hamburgers beat out a hotdog any day!
- listening to music or watching tv? I love watching tv, but we haven’t gotten any channels in almost 2 years!
- Desperate Housewives or Survivor? Neither (see above)
- homecooked meal or fancy restaurant? Fancy restaurant, hands down! I love homecooked meals (like my Mom’s beautiful turkey dinners … *drool*), but going out to a fancy restaurant is great too, because I eat things that I wouldn’t normally get in a homecooked meal – like grilled salmon (my fav)! We are in love with a small bistro within walking distance of our place called Amuse-Bouche (it’s on Locke St.). Phenomenal!
till next time…
Almost three years ago now, a good friend of mine decided to let me in on a secret of hers. We were walking to the university pool to go for a swim, and she completely randomly asked me if I’d ever heard of The Keeper. I had not. She briefly explained what it was and how fantastic it was and how she shares this knowledge with all of her closest friends. I was a bit weirded out (menstrual cup? what on earth?) but significantly intrigued, so I set about researching it online.
Doing memes is like blogging for dummies. I love it!
This meme is ‘The Moaning Meme’ – I was tagged again by Crystal, apparently because I have some unfulfilled need to be flattered (lol) – thanks for the free pass to rant away! (Edited to add: Sarah at My Peculiar World also tagged me … I feel so special and loved!)
5 people who will be annoyed you tagged them.
- Everybody I know who blogs.
- I’m not tagging anyone.
- (Because I’ve five and insulted that no one has responded to my tags from yesterday.)
- So I’m beginning the moaning meme by moaning about that!
- So there. (Really though, please do the meme even though I haven’t tagged you. You know you secretly want to!)
4 things that should go into room 101 and be removed from the face of the earth.
- Spandex. I don’t care how skinny you are or that you’re a marathon runner and it cuts your time down, it’s ugly and wrong. The only time spandex was okay was the 80s, and seriously people, 80s fashion? Was only barely okay and should never be re-lived!
- The AIDS virus (HIV). Need I expand on that? I think not.
- Pornography. I think it’s destructive to society (and marriage!) and is disgusting.
- Plastic. It’s a horrible polluter – not just the substance itself but the process to make it.
3 things people do that make you want to shake them violently.
- Give unsolicited advice about childbearing. I believe that the choice to have children and if/when a couple chooses to have 0, 1, 2, 8, or 24 children is between that couple and God. Regardless of how you feel about their choice, it is none of your business and you should not presume that it is! (This is not directed at anyone in particular … just an observation!)
- Ask really stupid questions. I know, I know, “there are no stupid questions.” But there are … oh yes, there are!
- Muggings. Really now. You need to resort to pushing some old lady over and stealing her purse? I don’t think so.
2 things you find yourself moaning about.
- How much I want to be finished school.
- My job. I shouldn’t – really, it’s fantastic – but I do anyways.
1 thing the above answers tell you about yourself.
- I complain a lot!
Well, Crystal from The Song of My Soul tagged me for 8 Random Facts/Habits meme. (I’m actually quite flattered that I was tagged! I’m always secretly hoping that I’ll get tagged for memes!!)
RULES – Post rules before giving the facts – Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves – People who are tagged need to write on their own blog about their eight things and post these rules – At the end of the your blog you need to tag (hopefully) six people and list their names – Leave them a comment on their blog, telling them they have been tagged and not to forget to read your blog.
Without any further ado, here goes!
- I know 40 digits of pi. Yep, the number that has something to do with the circumference of a circle! Let me know if you ever want me to recite them for you!
- I chew on the inside of my cheeks when I’m anxious. And by chew, I mean gnaw it so hard that I give myself canchre sores and have drawn blood. Bad, bad habit!
- I finished five years of high school in four years on purpose because I didn’t want to graduate with the double-cohort.
- I hate dusting with a passion that is unlike any other dislike I have.
- I am a MASSIVE geek. I love all things Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek: The Next Generation. In fact, I’m currently reading The Making of Star Wars and it’s fascinating! I know most of the Star Wars dialogue by heart, and read The Lord of the Rings about once/year – speaking of which, it’s about time!
- I like to hide on Brad. I find it quite entertaining to hide and make him find me. Yep, I’m weird! (What makes this even more bizarre is that we have a two-bedroom apartment, so the chances that he’ll be looking for me for long are quite slim!)
- I have a tattoo of the word “think” on my upper right arm and a nose piercing.
- I have no style and no favourite type of music. I used to be a punk, and listen to punk music and ska and wear oversized pants and have funky hair. Then I stopped listening to that type of music, and I’m at this weird stage in my life where I don’t know how I want to dress or what type of music I want to listen to. I love 8o’s music (random, I know) and I also love, love, LOVE ballad-y guy bands like Dashboard Confessional, The Postal Service, and Franz Ferdinand. But when people ask what my favourite type of music is, my answer is ” … Um … I don’t know.” It’s awkward! After having an “image” for so much of my childhood and teenage years, it’s hard on me to not be portraying one now. I think it’s good for me though, since it’s forcing me to face myself and figure out who I am as opposed to who I want to be or who I want to portray or what my identity is. Wow. Apparently I’ve got some thinking to do!
Now for the tagging. Six people, huh?
With summer nearly over, most of us are getting ready to go back to school. Whether you are getting your kids ready or yourself, it’s always a busy time. So lets have a few back to school questions.
Take your seats please and listen up or you’ll get detention!
1. As a kid, how did you feel about going back to school?
LOVED it! I was always super bored by the end of summer and really looking forward to going back.
If you go now, how do you feel about it?
I’m so sick of school, it’s not even funny! This year makes year number six of my university career! I’m ready to be done, and thus, and ready to be back at it.
2. How do you/did you prepare for going back?
Now I don’t do a whole lot. The only thing would be to buy an agenda I really really like – I’ve gotta love it or I won’t use it!
When I was a kid though, we would do a bunch of back-to-school shopping. We would take a trip to Lime Ridge Mall (about a 45 minute drive from my home town) for all of our new clothes, and then we would go to the local K-Mart for our school supplies. I kid you not, I would spend hours sitting and taking the tags off everything and putting the paper in the binders and filling up my pencil case and sharpening my coloured pencils. I would totally do that now if I got all those things =)
3. Ever had a crush on a classmate or teacher? Who was it?
I won’t bother to regale you with the huuuuuuuge list of boys I had crushes on in elementary and high school. I was completely boy crazy. However, I did have a crush on my grade 9 History teacher, Mr. Drumm. And a teensy crush on my grade 12 English teach, Mr. Malbeouf.
4. What is/was your fav school subject?
Was? English and Biology. Now? What was the question again?
5. What’s the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in school?
Ummm . . . a girl once flipped up my kilt in grade 10. The ensuing holding-up-of-the-girl-by-her-throat-against-the-lockers was not so pretty, and I think the encounter was more embarrassing for her than for me!
6. What did you like better, grade school or high school?
Oooh. Hard one. I think I liked high school better, though.
till next time … randomness … feed your mind and your blog.
Wuhoo!! Many thanks to Dave for offering the use of their USB camera card reader!!
Aside: I’m not posting a pic of my sister (the new mom), since I don’t have her permission to post any of the ones I took =) They’re not bad at all, I just don’t want her to be uncomfortable with them.
SO, without any further ado, here is the little guy, Liam, 14 hours after his birth!
Isn’t he gorgeous??
Here’s the brand new Grandma (my mom):
And brand new Grandpa (my dad), with Aunt Becky in the back:
We had such a great time being there with everyone. What a crazy, beautiful experience!